Edward Magrath

  • 3Caps
Date Of BirthJuly 12, 1939
Place of BirthSydney
SchoolSydney Technical High School
Debut ClubUniversity (Sydney)
Debut Test Match1961 Wallabies v Fiji, Brisbane
Final Test Match1961 Wallabies v. France, Sydney
DiedNovember 9, 2016


Ted Magrath was an exceptionally fast and prolific try scoring winger who attained national honours in the early 1960s. A natural on the right side of the field, Magrath had the ability to consistently beat his man with a deceptive swerve or through the use of a strong left hand fend.


Born in Sydney, Magrath was educated at Sydney Technical High School where he played his first rugby. After school he studied mechanical engineering, and played his club rugby, at the University of Sydney where he made First grade at just 17 years of age. During his career with the University he scored 74 tries in 76 top grade matches.


Magrath made his representative debut for New South Wales against Queensland in 1959 and announced his arrival with three tries. A broken left wrist early in the 1960 season put him out for most of the year however he returned the following year to score six tries in the three interstate clashes to ensure himself of a Test debut against Fiji in Brisbane. Injury ruled him out of the final two Tests however he was then chosen for his first Wallaby tour, to South Africa. 


Following his graduation from Sydney University, Magrath’s work took him to Melbourne where he joined the Melbourne Rugby Club.


In 1964 he was  selected for Victoria play a New South Wales side. On return to Sydney he played in pre-season trials with the St. George club, however a broken ankle, along with a chronic shoulder problem, combined to end his playing career.


Ted Magrath played three Tests for Australia in a one-year international career. 





Magrath won his first test cap on the left wing, with Michael Cleary on the right, in the 1st Test, 24-6  victory over Fiji at the Exhibition Ground. He scored his first Test try in that match to become the 39th Wallaby to score a try on debut. Magrath was selected for the second Test but withdrew due to a badly sprained ankle. He was reinstated for the third Test in Melbourne however withdrew on medical advice as the ankle was still not quite right. After Jimmy Lisle suffered a hamstring injury in the first Test loss in South Africa, Rod Phelps was moved to outside centre and Magrath came in on the left wing where he marked legendary Springbok Jannie Engelbrecht for the 2nd Test, 11-23 loss at Port Elizabeth. Magrath retained his place for the 8-15 defeat to France at the S.C.G.

Edward Magrath